    SubjectRe: non-gcc linux? (was Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10?)

    Tim> Alan Cox wrote:
    >> > 1. There are architectures where some other compiler may do
    >> better > optimizations than gcc. I will cite some examples here, no
    >> need to argue
    >> I think we only care about this when they become free software.

    Tim> This may be your belief, but I would not choose to enforce it on
    Tim> everyone. Thank you for you opinion.

    Then don't try to enforce proprietary compilers on the kernel
    developers either. It's the developers who write the kernel and they
    use gcc extensions. There is no reason to cripple the kernel to
    satisfy people who wants to use proprietary software to compile it -
    not our problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.020 / U:49.588 seconds]