    SubjectRe: Locking Between User Context and Soft IRQs in 2.4.0
    Date
    On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 07:49:00 -0500,
    Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
    >Keith Owens wrote:
    >> I prefer a requirement that all net drivers upgrade to the new
    >> interface, otherwise we have odd drivers using the old interface
    >> forever and being at risk of module unload. That is why I coded my
    >> patch as returning -ENODEV if there was no dev->open. However I have
    >> to accept that just before a 2.4 release is not the best time to have a
    >> flag day. Put it down for 2.5.
    >
    >What is "it" that gets put off until 2.5? Breaking net drivers with an
    >interface upgrade, or eliminating this race?

    Forcing all network drivers to define a dev->open routine.

    >There is absolutely no need to break drivers for this. Not only is it
    >needless pain, but doing so is inconsistent -- with struct
    >file_operations, I am free to have owner==NULL.

    True, but if you set owner==NULL for something that is really in a
    module then you are lying to the module layer. See foot, shoot foot.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.021 / U:59.824 seconds]