       Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:13:27 -0500 (EST)
    From: Alexander Viro <>

    * search for appropriate cylinder group had been taken out of the
    ext2_new_inode() into helper functions - find_cg_dir(sb, parent_group) and
    find_cg_other(sb, parent_group). Bug caught by Daniel (wrong bh being
    dirtied when we update the free inodes counter) - fixed.
    * ext2_new_inode() returns error values via ERR_PTR(). Callers
    updated, the third argument gone.
    * load_inode_bitmap() returns bh of the bitmap instead of the slot
    number. Callers updated.
    * code in ext2_new_inode() straightened up. Nothing spectacular,
    but it became more readable now...
    * all callers of ext2_new_inode() in namei.c are passing correct
    mode (including ext2_mkdir(), etc.) instead of setting ->i_mode by hands

    It's _not_ likely that the whole thing will go into 2.4.0. Moreover,
    if it ever will go, it will go in pieces. I will post the splitup for
    review, indeed. Right now I'm just asking to help with testing the
    thing and with reading the resulting code. Hopefully, it's easier to
    read than it used to be.

    The code is definitely more readable with these changes. For 2.4.0 at
    this point my bias is towards a simple 1-2 line fix for Daniel's bug,
    and save the cleanups for post 2.4.

    Ted, if you could look through the code and comment on it... I would
    be extremely grateful. I can send you a splitup of the patch if that will be
    more convenient for you - just tell.

    If you could send me the split up, I'd appreciate it, as it'll make it
    easier to find any subtle bugs. I certainly like the general way you've
    cleaned up the interfaces and factored out the code.

    Many thanks,

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:49    [W:0.025 / U:8.956 seconds]