SubjectRe: ext3 vs. JFS file locations...
Date
Followup to:  <200011031725.eA3HPwP12932@webber.adilger.net>
By author: Andreas Dilger <adilger@turbolinux.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Michael Boman writes:
> > It seems like both IBM's JFS and ext3 wants to use fs/jfs .. IMHO that
> > is like asking for problem.. A more logic location for ext3 should be
> > fs/ext3, no?
>
> Actually, if you would look in linux/fs, you will see that ext3 IS in
> linux/fs/ext3. However, there is a second component to ext3, which is
> a generic block journalling layer which is called jfs. This journal
> layer is designed so that it isn't ext3 specific, so it would be
> _possible_ for other journalling filesystems to use it. Whether non-ext3
> filesystems will actually use it is another question (actually the
> InterMezzo distributed filesystem uses the ext3-jfs functionality to
> do compound transactions on disk to ensure cluster coherency).
>
> I think that Stephen at one time said he would change the name, but I
> guess he has not done so yet.

How about naming it something that doesn't end in -fs, such as
"journal" or "jfsl" (Journaling Filesystem Layer?)

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt