    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page (Updated as of 2.4.0-test10)
    On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 05:30:26PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Bill Wendling wrote:
    > >
    > > Also sprach kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru:
    > > } > de4x5 is probably also buggy in regard to this.
    > > }
    > > } de4x5 is hopeless. I added nice comment in softnet to it.
    > > } Unfortunately it was lost. 8)
    > > }
    > > } Andi, neither you nor me nor Alan nor anyone are able to audit
    > > } all this unnevessarily overcomplicated code. It was buggy, is buggy
    > > } and will be buggy. It is inavoidable, as soon as you have hundreds
    > > } of drivers.
    > > }
    > > If they are buggy and unsupported, why aren't they being expunged from
    > > the main source tree and placed into a ``contrib'' directory or something
    > > for people who may want those drivers?
    >
    > de4x5 is stable. Its hopeless to add stuff to it, or try to any fix of
    > the (IMHO small) issues, but its fine as is. For maintenance issues,
    > its PCI support will be eliminated in 2.5.x because it is a duplicate of
    > support in the tulip driver.

    de4x5 is stable, but tends to perform badly under load, mostly because
    it doesn't use rx_copybreak and overflows standard socket buffers with its
    always MTU sized skbuffs.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.022 / U:62.300 seconds]