    SubjectRe: access() says EROFS even for device files if /dev is mounted RO

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Hugh Dickins wrote:

    > Sorry, I missed the point at issue here, and what changed when.
    > Assuming (perhaps wrongly) it's independent of filesystem type,
    >
    > Solaris yes ok ok
    > HP-UX yes EROFS ok
    >
    > I don't have UnixWare or OpenServer at hand to test,
    > guess UnixWare as Solaris, can report OpenServer tomorrow.
    > But it looks like a Floridan answer.

    It looks like

    AT&T versions up to SysIII (at least), all UCB versions, Ultrix,
    4.4BSD-derived systems, Solaris, pre-2.2.6 Linux, current 2.4.* Linux:
    if access() says EROFS - open() will also fail with EROFS.

    HP-UX and 2.2.6-2.2.18-pre*: give false alarm on access() even though they
    allow open().

    I would say that the latter group is badly outnumbered _and_ broken. It's one
    thing when standard sets the bogus historical behaviour in stone, but
    here we introduced bogus behaviour due to misreading the vague language
    used in standard. Historically, on systems that allow write access to devices
    on r/o filesystems access() doesn't return EROFS for devices. Moreover, that's
    what one might reasonably expect and there are programs relying on that.
    Principle of minimal surprise and all such...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.021 / U:88.160 seconds]