    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: crashing kernels

    > > The output of lspci -v:
    > [...]
    > > 00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)
    > > Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82559 Fast Ethernet LAN on Motherboard
    > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    > Hmm, this is the device you reported you have a problem initially, isn't
    > it? If it is, then...
    > > 00:12.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    > ... it shares its IRQ with an USB host adapter as I suspected. And you
    > don't have an USB driver installed. Does the following patch help? (Hmm,
    > since you tested 2.4.0-test* as well -- it might not as it's just a
    > backport... Then again -- you might hit a different problem with
    > 2.4.0-test*.)

    Yes You are right. This Ether Express is integrated on the motherboard, so
    we couldn't get it out totally :( But there isn't any cable connected to
    it, we also doesn't have the driver in the kernel. This is the same with
    the USB too. Do You mind, that they could have some kind of conflict just
    on they own, without being really used?

    Currently after changing the processors to Katmais, and disabling the
    apic, and some of the other unused peripheries, it seems, that the system
    is more stable. If the errors come again, I'll try to compile the USB
    driver also.

    > It's not impossible for an I/O APIC to lose an EOI message if there are
    > severe errors during the transmission -- since you already tried
    > 2.4.0-test*: have you seen any APIC errors in the syslog?

    Nope, specially we didn't get errors from the APIC himself. But both
    network cards (except the EtherExpress) were saying errors considering to
    kernel: eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by another
    kernel: Flags; bus-master 1, full 0; dirty 112(0) current 112(0).
    kernel: Transmit list 00000000 vs. f20ac200.
    kernel: 0: @f20ac200 length 80000036 status
    kernel: 15: @f20ac2f0 length 80000042 status
    kernel: eth0: Resetting the Tx ring pointer.

    Kernel Panic: skput:over: a00f8d9b: 1526 put: 66 dev: eth1
    In interrupt handler - not syncing

    after SysRQ+ALT+u:
    Aiee, killing interrupt handler
    Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

    Thanx for the USB patch, I'll try it also.

    | Nagy Attila |
    | |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.037 / U:7.304 seconds]