    SubjectRe: setting up pppd dial-in on linux
    "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

    > Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
    > trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
    > that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
    > without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
    > scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
    > in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
    > mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
    > "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.

    Red Hat's ppp client setup is about a 90 second job

    > I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
    > routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
    > the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
    > authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
    > wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
    > that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
    > it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
    > 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
    > won't stay up reliably.

    hmm, an awful lot of ISPs use Linux dialup servers...

    I set up a linux ppp server back in 1996 - things might have
    changed, but it seemed fairly straightforward at the time -

    can't imagine it's gotten worse since then...

    > Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
    > to help put together some easy configs for standard
    > dial-in scenarios?

    Crunch time for me right now, finals coming right up...

    I'll bet there's quite a few ISP-savvy admins who could
    lend a hand though -

    jjs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.022 / U:59.768 seconds]