    SubjectRe: silly [< >] and other excess
    Keith Owens writes:
    > Christian Gennerat <> wrote:
    >> a =E9crit :

    >>> I also left something else
    >>> that always annoyed me: valuable screen space (on a 24x80 vt)
    >>> is lost by these silly [< >] around addresses in an Oops.
    >>> They provide no information at all, but on the other hand
    >>> cause loss of information because these lines no longer
    >>> fit in 80 columns causing line wrap and the loss of the
    >>> top of the Oops.]

    > You just broke ksymoops.

    You can fix it. Keeping useful info on the screen is more important.

    > Removing the [< >] is a bad idea, they are
    > one of the few things that identifies the addresses in the log,
    > otherwise they just look like hex numbers. ksymoops has to scan log
    > files which can contain anything and somehow pick out the interesting
    > lines, you need some identifier on the lines.

    If you see register names followed by hex numbers, you have
    some debug data. Scan forward and backward 25 lines, grabbing
    all 8-digit and 16-digit hex numbers. Sort the numbers, then
    look up all of them.

    Crude solutions don't break as often as fancy solutions.

    > There should be no need to restrict the number of lines printed, it is
    > limited by the top of the kernel stack. If there are more than 32
    > trace entries on the stack then they should be printed.

    It could fill the screen. There is an expansion of 4-to-13 when
    using the silly brackets, and a PC stack can be 6 or 7 kB long,
    or perhaps many megabytes due to stack overflow. The standard
    VGA screen only allows 4000 bytes of data.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.022 / U:10.196 seconds]