    SubjectRe: filesystems
    On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > you do not mount a VFS filesystem. VFS is not a filesystem. VFS is a
    > Virtual Filesystem Switch, i.e. a set of concepts, philosophy, data
    > structures and functions which together make writing new filesystems easy.
    > The name is derived from the SVR4 data structure vfssw (sic?) whence all
    > the good concepts of VFS came (yea, yea, I know, AV (and history books)
    > will tell me that Sun had a vnode/vfs layer and that even FreeBSD has a
    > sort of VFS/vnode layer but we all know that the really good form of VFS
    > came from SVR4, like it or not, the others, except Linux of course, are
    > impostors)

    perhaps I invented a new English word "achronal impostor", i.e. impostor
    even if he was there before others ;)

    And, to emphasize my respect to Al Viro, I would like to explain that I
    sometimes spell "my personal humble opinion" as "we all know", just read
    between the lines and you will be Ok.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.026 / U:248.392 seconds]