    SubjectRe: silly [< >] and other excess
    Date
    Russell King writes:
    > Albert D. Cahalan writes:

    >> All these numbers get looked up.
    >
    > These numbers should NOT get looked up - if they are, then very
    > useful information will be lost;

    WOAH, STOP!!! You say "lost"???

    Under NO circumstances should klogd or ksymoops mangle the
    original oops. The raw oops data MUST be completely preserved.
    It is a serious bug that this is not what currently happens.

    > they are not only references to
    > kernel functions, but also kernel data and read only data within
    > the kernel text segment.

    1. this is harmless
    2. this is useful (you might get a variable's name)

    > The result will be a totally undeciperal
    > garbage.

    Nope. You get the unmolested oops and some symbol data.
    If there isn't any symbol for 0x424a5149, so what? It is
    no big deal to look up a few opcodes in the symbol table
    by accident.

    > Again, care to put the effort into klogd/ksymoops to handle the
    > architecture special cases?

    That would be trading one design flaw for another.

    The hard part of klogd/ksymoops is decoding the code bytes AFAIK.
    The rest is a just a cross between grep and ps -- you search and
    you do symbol lookups. I could throw it together in a few hours,
    minus the disassembly part.

    Hey, anybody ever think about splitting the kernel message buffer
    to be per-CPU or keeping interrupt context separate from process
    context? Not that I've looked at it, but locking might be reduced.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.023 / U:29.416 seconds]