    SubjectRe: PATCH 2.4.0.10: Update hotplug
    I'm glad to see the CardBus/PCI and network hotplug
    support start happening!

    Would you motivate two changes I noticed?

    - Changing /sbin/hotplug invocations ... now it can
    only support "add" and "del" events. (USB now
    uses "add" and "remove", though "remove" doesn't
    try to do anything yet.)

    This removes the intended flexibility whereby
    different subsystems (such as networking) can
    define their own events.

    - "/sbin/hotplug net ..." replaced by "/sbin/network",
    with two custom event types.

    The original intent of /sbin/hotplug was to centralize all
    the hotplug-related dispatching, addressing both the module
    selection/loading problem and device config/setup aspects
    of device setup.

    By creating another hotplug command (/sbin/network) you're
    starting down what seems a slippery slope, where there's
    no longer a single dispatch point to enable/disable or
    to debug from. Why discard the, err, "conceptual unity"
    of one access point for usermode hotplug policy agents?

    - Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.064 seconds]