    SubjectRe: BTTV detection broken in 2.4.0-test11-pre5
    In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0011190710440.13087-100000@anime.net> you write:
    >On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, David Lang wrote:
    >> > there is a rootkit kernel module out there that, if loaded onto your
    >> > system, can make it almost impossible to detect that your system has been
    >> > compramised. with module support disabled this isn't possible.
    >> Yes, it is. Easily. If you've got root you can modify the kernel image and
    >> reboot the bloody thing. And no, marking it immutable will not help. Open
    >> the raw device and modify relevant blocks.
    >
    >Kernel on writeprotected floppy disk...

    So change the CMOS-settings so that the BIOS changes the boot order
    from A, C, CD-ROM to C first instead. *grin* How long do you want
    to keep playing Tic-Tac-Toe?

    Of course, using capabilities and totally disabling access to the raw
    disk devices and to any I/O ports might be the solution, provided that
    there are no bugs or thinkos in the capabilities code.

    /Christer