    SubjectRe: Error in x86 CPU capabilities starting with test5/6
    On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
    > You have a user-space program which parses /proc/cpuinfo instead of
    > executing CPUID itself, so it breaks.

    Hi Mikael,

    Arguably, it is always better to parse /proc/cpuinfo instead of executing
    CPUID directly (think PCI -- drivers should _NOT_ get their irq/io/etc
    values from config space directly but only what the kernel puts on a plate
    for them in the struct pci_dev).

    So, one could imagine the kernel which emulates in software some of the
    processor features and then CPUID would lie but /proc/cpuinfo would tell
    the truth.

    Also, Linux is very stable wrt to application interfaces (I compare Linux
    with Linux and not Linux with "non-Linux", cf 1Cor 2:13) so one can safely
    rely on the exported data formats to stay always the same (to a reasonable

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.023 / U:15.172 seconds]