    SubjectRe: Swapping over NFS in Linux 2.4?
    Rik van Riel <> writes:

    > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Andreas Osterburg wrote:
    > > Because I set up a diskless Linux-workstation, I want to swap
    > > over NFS. For this purpose I found only patches for "older"
    > > Linux-versions (2.0, 2.1, 2.2?).
    > > Does anyone know wheter there are patches for 2.4 or does anyone
    > > know another solution for this problem?
    > 1. you can swap over NBD
    > 2. if you point me to the swap-over-nfs patches you
    > have found, I can try to make them work on 2.4 ;)

    Rik all we need to do now is convert the swapout code to address space
    methods just like the block device was.

    This has a number of interesting effects. One of which is that
    brw_page should no longer have any users. Simplifying fs/buffer.c

    Further this is equivalent to mounting a nfs file loop back which
    the address space methods now allow, but it is more direct.

    Which means that if this reveals any bugs in nfs/lock ups in nfs they
    were already there.

    This has been on my want to do list for a while but I'm busy
    reinventing booting so I haven't gotten to it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.020 / U:40.084 seconds]