    SubjectRe: Advanced Linux Kernel/Enterprise Linux Kernel
    At 01:10 PM 11/14/00 -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
    >"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
    >
    > > Relating some "nine goals of 'Enterprise Computing'" to Multics is
    > > the bullshit.
    >
    >Funny, I got those off the "Multics FAQ" page.

    It may be reasonable to question them as "goals of 'Enterprise Computing'".

    I found, on http://www.multicians.org/general.html, a list of those same
    nine goals, introduced by the sentence "As described in the 1965 paper
    Introduction and Overview of the Multics System by Corbató and Vyssotsky,
    there were nine major goals for Multics:"

    While those were the goals of Multics, it is not at all clear that Multics
    would classify these days as a platform for "Enterprise Computing". I'll
    note that the word "enterprise" does not appear in either the general FAQ
    page I cited, nor in the linked article it cites.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.023 / U:0.788 seconds]