    SubjectRe: Advanced Linux Kernel/Enterprise Linux Kernel
    Michael Rothwell writes:

    > 1) Convenient remote terminal use.
    > Telnet, ssh, X windows, rsh, vnc, "screen," ethernet,
    > serial, etc. I think we have this one.

    Nope: /dev/audio, /dev/cdrom, /dev/floppy, fonts, etc.

    Also one would want a local window manager for performance,
    but this tends to interfere with starting apps on the other

    > 4) A high reliability internal file system.

    Now we want it distributed, with version control, with
    mirroring onto N of M machines and migration toward usage...

    > 5) Support for selective information sharing.
    > Linux has a rather poor security model -- the Unix one.
    > It needs ACLs no only on filesystem objects, but on other
    > OS features as well; such as the ability to use network
    > interfaces, packet types, display ACLs, console ACLs, etc.

    It would have been nice to have just put 2 entries right
    in the inode years ago. With the KISS method, we'd be using
    ACLs right now. Even just a list of UIDs that would share
    permission bits with the file's GID would be very useful.
    I just want to share a file with one other person!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.020 / U:13.208 seconds]