    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 Status/TODO page (test11-pre3)
    tytso@mit.edu wrote:
    > 4. Boot Time Failures

    > * Various Alpha's don't boot under 2.4.0-test9 (PCI-PCI bridges are
    > not configured correctly Michal Jaegermann; Richard Henderson may
    > have an idea what's failing.)

    Move to patch-exists-but-not-merged. rth has patches, co-developed with
    Ivan Kokshaysky

    > 8. Fix Exists But Isnt Merged

    > * Many network device drivers don't call MOD_INC_USE_COUNT in
    > dev->open. (Paul Gortmaker has patches)

    Update: net drivers can now set an owner member as of test11-pre3, to
    completely eliminate any race. Net drivers that don't call MOD_xxx at
    all should just be updated to use the new stuff.

    > * using ramfs with highmem enabled can yield a kernel NULL pointer
    > dereference. (wollny at cns.mpg.de has a patch)

    fixed as of test11-pre2.

    > 9. To Do

    > * Fix mount failures due to copy_* user mishandling

    Details?

    > * Misc locking problems
    > + Power management locking (Alan Cox)

    A patch from Alan for this made it into test10 or test11-pre1.

    > * Copying between two encrypting loop devices causes an immediate
    > deadlock in the request queue (Andi Kleen)

    Loopback block device has serious problems, not just this.. I am gonna
    look at it this week...

    > * 2.4.0-test10 pcmcia fails to detect IRQ's correctly, and will
    > sometimes kill all software interrupts on card insertion on a NEC
    > Versa LX (David Ford)

    Still does this with test11-pre-latest?

    > * VGA Console can cause SMP deadlock when doing printk {CRITICAL}
    > (Keith Owens)

    move to "should already be fixed, confirmation wanted." I think Keith
    said he doesn't exercise that particular code path anymore, so he didn't
    test James' patch.

    > * drivers/input/mousedev.c dereferences userspace pointers directly
    > (prumpf)

    yum :)

    > 10. To Do But Non Showstopper
    >
    > * Go through as 2.4pre kicks in and figure what we should mark
    > obsolete for the final 2.4 (i.e. XT hard disk support?)

    * Go through as 2.4pre kicks in and figure out what FOO_DEBUG options
    need to be turned off. __iovirt_debug is a notable one that will hurt
    performance (IMHO), because every write[bwl] gets routed to a function
    call that checks stuff before performing the I/O.

    > * Union mount (Al Viro)

    I think this is complete? Isn't this mount --bind?

    > * Loop device can still hang (William Stearns has script that will
    > hang 2.4.0-test7, Peter Enderborg has a short sequence that will
    > hang 2.4.0test9)

    Maybe combine this entry and the loopback crypto one above into a more
    general "loopback works for some cases, deadlocks for others"

    > 11. To Check
    > * NFS bugs are fixed

    Is this worthy of an entry? I think that every bug fix applied should
    have a listing here, then. :) check that parport bugs are fixed.
    check that serial bugs are fixed. etc. ...

    > * List of potential problems found by Stanford students using g++
    > hacks:
    > + Andy Chou's list of mismatched spinlocks and interrupts/bh
    > enable/disable.
    > + Seth Andrew Hallem's list potentially sleeping functions
    > called with interrupts off or spinlocks held.
    > + Dawson Engler's list of potential kmalloc/kfree bugs

    A few people are hanging onto these lists, and going through them. This
    could be an 'in progress' item.

    > * Potential races in file locking code (Christian Ehrhardt -- patch
    > which may fix some of these posted by trond, at
    > http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week45/0404.htm
    > l)

    I think trond's patch was applied.

    > * many drivers are not hot-plugging safe (__devinit/__devexit)
    > (Barklomiej Zolnierkiewicz)

    Many drivers are not supposed to be hotplug safe!

    If the hardware is not known to be hotpluggable, then the driver should
    not use __devinit/exit. Doing so needlessly avoids the __init code
    drop, wasting memory.

    > 12. Probably Post 2.4

    > * module remove race bugs (ipchains modules -- Rusty; won't fix for
    > 2.4)

    Is this an ipchains bug, or a more general module subsystem bug?

    > * NCR5380 isnt smp safe (Frank Davis --- belives the driver should
    > be rewritten)

    hehe I personally believe many of the current kernel drivers should be
    rewritten ;-)

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik |
    Building 1024 | Would you like a Twinkie?