    SubjectRe: Where is it written?
    Date
    Followup to:  <20001110192751.A2766@munchkin.spectacle-pond.org>
    By author: Michael Meissner <meissner@spectacle-pond.org>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Generally with ABIs you don't want to mess with it (otherwise you can't be
    > guaranteed that a library built by somebody else will be compatible with your
    > code, without all sorts of bits in the e_flags field). It allows multiple
    > compilers to be provided that all interoperate (as long as they follow the same
    > spec).
    >
    > Don't get me wrong -- in my 25 years of compiler hacking, I've never seen an
    > ABI that I was completely happy with, including ABI's that I designed myself.
    > ABIs by their nature are a compromise. That particular ABI was short sighted
    > in that it wants only 32-bit alignment for doubles, instead of 64-bit alignment
    > for instance, and also doesn't align the stack to higher alignment boundaries.

    We can mess with the ABI, but it requires a wholescale rev of the
    entire system. We have had such revs before -- each major rev of libc
    is one -- but they are incredibly painful. However, if we find
    ourselves in a situation where there are enough reasons to introduce
    libc.so.7 then perhaps looking at some revs to the ABI might be in
    order -- passing arguments in registers and aligning the stack to 64
    bits probably would be the main items.

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt