    SubjectRE: 2.4.0-test10 Sluggish After Load
    On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Jonathan George wrote:

    > It sounded to me as if his machine never actually recovered from
    > thrashing.

    That's the nature of thrashing ... nothing in the system
    is able to make any progress, hence it takes ages until
    the situation changes...

    > Futhermore, even a thrashing case on a machine like that
    > shouldn't last for more than about 10 minutes. It would be
    > interesting to contrast FreeBSD's behavior if "simple" cleanup
    > was the problem.

    FreeBSD has 2 methods of thrashing control. Current Linux 2.4
    VM has none. I have been experimenting with some thrashing
    control stuff here, but haven't gotten anything clean and
    obviously right yet...

    > BTW, I think that everyone is happy with the direction of the
    > new VM. I'm looking forward to your upcoming enhancements which
    > I hope will make it in to a later 2.4 release.

    I'm working on it. I have no idea if it'll be ready in time
    for other 2.4 releases ... maybe stuff will be there, maybe
    it'll be 2.5 work.

    Of course, this also depends on the amount of people willing
    to test out new VM patches and/or help with development.

    Now that the 2.4 tree is frozen, I'll periodically upload new
    patches to my home page for people to test. I don't want to
    touch 2.4 except with the most trivial fixes, and accumulate
    a big set of more invasive improvements for 2.5.

    The URL where I (after I return from .nl in 2 weeks) will put
    my VM patches:

    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.020 / U:17.380 seconds]