SubjectRe: Linux-2.4.0-test10
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

>But it contains an erroneous part in microcode.c:
>- if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_INTEL || c->x86 < 6){
>+ if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_INTEL || c->x86 != 6){
> printk(KERN_ERR "microcode: CPU%d not an Intel P6\n",
>It was not in Daniel's cleanup patch which I saw but came from elsewhere.
>Are there Intel CPUs with family>6 which do not support the same mechanism
>for microcode update as family=6? The manuals suggest that test for ">" is
>correct, i.e. that Intel will maintain compatibility with P6 wrt microcode

The patch came from me, as part of the patch kit to make the kernel
safe(r) for the Pentium IV processor. There were several places
which made unwarranted assumptions about ->x86 not exceeding 6, and
they would break since Pentium IV has family 15.

[Reading #243192 ...]
Concerning the microcode update driver, I cannot find anything in
the IA32-Vol3 manual to suggest it is not P6 specific.
The Pentium IV is not a P6, hence the stricter test.

Of course, this should be reviewed once the PentiumIV-updated
IA32-Vol3 manual has been released.

You say the manuals suggest testing for family >= 6.
Exactly which manual does that, and where?

(But I should have passed the patch to you Tigran before Linus.
Mea culpa, but it seemed such an obvious bug&fix ...)