    Subject2.4.0-test10 Sluggish After Load

    I'm evaluating my company's needs for a new database server which means
    that I get to beat the hell out of the contenders. I'm a long time Linux
    user, and the founder of the Orasoft Project (Oracle Apps for
    Linux). There, I'm no Linux spring chicken. :-)

    I wrote stress testing apps that simulates extreme database load. I ran
    it against 2.4.0-test9 and locked it up solid on two occasions. I grabbed
    2.0.4-test10 and reran.

    I was impressed. The distributed stress tester (DDOS) created 1800 Oracle
    connections, and then proceeded to bang on the server by selecting random
    connections and executing SELECT statements.

    Load average got to 5.48.
    Memory was depleted, and 200M remained of the 800M swap.

    After being pleased by the results, I killed the stress tester. That's
    when things went to hell. After the stresser was dead the server's load
    average spiked to 795! I still had a remote console open so I tried to
    run some things. The pstools would hang for about 20 minutes before
    spitting out data. Just hitting ENTER in my ssh session would take 10
    minutes to register with the server.

    The machine shouldn't be under any kind of load right now, yet it's acting
    as though it's getting killed.

    I've left it in this condition. It's still accepting SSH connections,
    albeit very slowly. If anyone want to take a look I'll create an account
    and allow SSH. I'd prefer it to be someone that I know, or someone with
    an @redhat||suse||etc e-mail address.

    Here's the hardware:
    2x 500mhz PIII
    256M RAM
    100% SCSI
    HP Kayak
    Kernel 2.4.0-test10

    Here's some stats just before I killed the stress tester:

    [root@oserv02 /root]# pstree
    init-+-atd
    |-crond
    |-gpm
    |-kflushd
    |-klogd
    |-kreclaimd
    |-kswapd
    |-kupdate
    |-6*[mingetty]
    |-1803*[oracle]
    |-portmap
    |-sendmail
    |-sshd---sshd---bash---pstree
    |-syslogd
    |-tnslsnr
    |-wu.ftpd
    `-xfs

    [root@oserv02 /root]# w
    9:40pm up 26 min, 1 user, load average: 4.40, 5.48, 4.10
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    root pts/1 matthome.godfrey 9:29pm 1:38 5.94s 4.57s w

    [root@oserv02 /root]# cat /proc/meminfo
    total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
    Mem: 261881856 259772416 2109440 0 212992 24477696
    Swap: 814178304 524578816 289599488
    MemTotal: 255744 kB
    MemFree: 2060 kB
    MemShared: 0 kB
    Buffers: 208 kB
    Cached: 23904 kB
    Active: 15268 kB
    Inact_dirty: 180 kB
    Inact_clean: 8664 kB
    Inact_target: 12036 kB
    HighTotal: 0 kB
    HighFree: 0 kB
    LowTotal: 255744 kB
    LowFree: 2060 kB
    SwapTotal: 795096 kB
    SwapFree: 282812 kB

    I'm not on the list, so direct your reply to matthew@mattshouse.com.

    Matthew

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.027 / U:0.660 seconds]