    SubjectRe: Tux 2 patents
    For what it's worth, the system was called "Jackdaw" and was written by
    Mike Challis. It was in extensive use on the University's MVT/MVS/MVSXA
    mainframe for many years as the database for holding user information. The
    document Alain's got is probably Computer Laboratory Technical Report no. 1
    (yes, One!).

    If it isn't, and you need it, see

    Jackdaw was phased out when the mainframe was decommissioned about 5 years
    ago. Mike's still around, but I think he's retired.

    -- Timothy

    At 10:00 PM 10/5/00 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
    >I remember when at the University of Cambridge (in England) about 25 years ago
    >seeing some work then about the Jackdaw (or was is Jackard) database system
    >that had the great feature of being immune to OS crashes, it used a phased
    >update mechanism where new blocks were written to disk and the last block
    >written was the one that contained the switched pointer, until this last block
    >had been written the changes had not been made. Since the write of a disk
    >was atomic the database would never be corrupt.
    >If someone wants I think that I still have a (paper) copy of the report
    >this. I can send/fax a copy if wanted.
    >I don't subscribe to this list, so please reply direct if someone wants it.
    >(Please don't request a copy just out of curiosity since I don't want to have
    >to post/fax copies that won't help resolve this case by showing prior art.)
    >Alain Williams
    >the body of a message to
    >Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.021 / U:15.736 seconds]