    SubjectRe: Tux 2 patents
    On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 09:13:25AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > Once you use the technique and it's documented as clear by a patent
    > > lawyer, it will be safe for you to use forever, particularly if it's
    > > in the public domain. This is winning....
    >
    > This is good to know, but what I was talking about is taking it *out of
    > the closed source* domain. The idea is to take our best ideas out of
    > the closed source domain. After a few years of doing that, it's my
    > guess that the evil software patent system would keel over and die.

    IANAL, but I believe that once you've implemented a method in a released
    product, you have only one year to file the patents for it. If you don't
    file patents for it within this time period, it becomes public domain. I
    think it would be possible to invalidate their patents, but I don't think
    it would be possible to get your own patent on it after the fact and refuse
    to let them use it.

    -Jesse

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.024 / U:328.924 seconds]