    SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test9-pre8

    > * Following a suggestion from Jeff Garzik to save the disk from heavy
    > trashing during my mem=8M test, I've tried to use a ramdisk for
    > swapping - Yes, I know, this is pretty stupid in normal use and might
    > even be illegal (i.e. not expected to work by design). Anyway, I've
    > tried it and was working when used as a swapdevice (size=64M, bs=4k).
    > Added with priority 0 and the normal swap partition kept for fallback
    > with prio=-1. No problems. It did even gracefully swapoff the ramdisk
    > while it was already filled and the box was swapping to disk.
    > To make thinks even more stupid, I've tried a second thing: create
    > an ext2-fs (bs=4k) on the ramdisk, mount it, and use a swapfile on
    > top of it. This deadlocks (with kswapd being current forever) at the
    > very moment the swapfile ist filled and swapping has to go to the
    > fallback raw swap partition.
    > As already said, I wouldn't be surprised, if swapping to rd were
    > broken. But swapping to a rd-partition appears solid while a rd-based
    > swapfile deadlocks. Could the difference be explained somehow or might
    > it indicate some deadlock path due to VM-fs interaction not
    > covered otherwise - so far?

    This really should be documented, somewhere.

    For example swapping over nbd to localhost can not work.

    Swapping over nbd to any other host can not work, too; but it might be

    Swapping to /dev/loop* probably can not work.

    Swapping to file on nfs does not work.

    Perhaps this should be added to Documentation/swap.txt?

    (Rik, you know about this issues... Do you feel like creating

    I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.052 / U:126.276 seconds]