    SubjectRe: test10-pre7
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > >
    > > Ya know, sorting those lists causes this problem, too... usb.o is
    > > listed first in the various lists, as is usbcore.o. Is it possible to
    > > avoid sorting? Doing so will fix this, and also any other link order
    > > breakage like this that exists, too.
    >
    > This is the right fix. We MUST NOT sort those things.
    >
    > The only reason for sorting is apparently to remove the "multi-objs"
    > things, and replace them with the object files they are composed of.

    No. It is NOT the only reason.

    Some driver have a "lowerlevel" driver that needs to be included or
    can be loaded as a module whenever the driver is enabled.

    This happens to be the case with sx, rio and generic_serial. So both
    SX and RIO, when enabled pull in generic_serial, which gets sorted out
    by the sort-and-uniqify.

    I used to have horrendously complicated Makefile rules to get this
    right, but this was simplified enormously by the "eliminate duplicate
    objects" that is now in the Makefiles.

    Roger.

    * Common sense is the collection of *
    ****** prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -- Albert Einstein ********