SubjectRe: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!
On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 03:38:00PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Larry McVoy wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 03:15:37PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > > The quality of the networking code in Linux is quite excellent. There's
> > > some scaling problems relative to NetWare. We are firmly committed to
> > > getting something out with a Linux code base and NetWare metrics. Love
> > > to have your help.
> >
> > Jeff, I'm a little concerned with some of your statements. Netware may
> > be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it isn't a full operating
> > system, so comparing it to Linux is sort of meaningless.
>
> It's makes more money in a week than Linux has ever made.

And the relevance of that to this conversation is exactly what?

> A context switch in anoperating system context in it's simplest for is
>
> mov x, esp
> mov esp, y
>
> > and you can support all that and get user to user context switches in a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Apology accepted.

No apology was extended. You're spouting nonsense. User to user means
process A in VM 1 switching to process B in VM 2. I'm sorry, Mr Merkey,
but a

mov x, esp
mov esp, y

doesn't begin to approach a user to user context switch. Please go learn
what a user to user context switch is. Then come back when you can do
one of those in a few cycles.
--
---