    SubjectRe: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!
    On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:39:37AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    > > Is there an option to map Linux into a flat address space [...]
    > nope, Linux is fundamentally multitasked.
    > what you can do to hack around this is to not switch to the idle thread
    > after having done work in nfsd. Some simple & stupid thing in schedule:
    > if (next == idle_task) {
    > while (nr_running)
    > barrier();
    > goto repeat_schedule;
    > }
    > (provided you are testing this on a UP system.) This way we do not destroy
    > the TLB cache when we wait a few microseconds for the next network
    > interrupt.
    > we do this in 2.4 already - ie. nfsd doesnt have to mark itself lazy-MM,
    > the idle thread will automatically 'inherit' the MM of nfsd, and is going
    > to switch CR3 only if the next process is not nfsd. So you can get an
    > apples to apples comparison by using 2.4.

    Ingo, I will attempt this, but I doubt seriously it will allow
    Linux to defeat NetWare 5.x on LAN I/O scaling. ALl protection
    has to go away in all LAN paths for this to happen, and user space
    apps set to ring 0. NetWare does support ring 3 applications,
    but the model is different than Linux. I will look at a potential
    compromise between the two with the MANOS /arch merge. It may
    allow some incarnation of Linux to smoke NetWare 5.x on LAN
    performance. Doing this would move MARS-NWE and SAMBA into the kernel
    without changing a line of code in either...

    > Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.020 / U:6.556 seconds]