SubjectRe: test10-pre7
On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 03:40:24PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > It is simple - but a change in _every_ makefile is required.
> > And it is not really needed for old-style makefiles.
>
> Actually, you don't have to change every makefile, because you CAN do this
> all with a simple backwards-compatibility layer, something like:
>
> OXONLY = $(filter-out $(O_OBJS), $(OX_OBJS))
> ALL_O = $(OXONLY) $(O_OBJS)
>
> which is a no-op for a "proper" makefile that follows the new rules
> (OXONLY will be empty, because all OX_OBJS files will be part of O_OBJS),
> but it will make old-style stuff act the same..

Ok, that should do the job - but it is horribly ugly ...

> I'd actually prefer to just change every Makefile, but hey, I think
> something like the above (untested) would make them work unmodified too.

But when we are changing makefiles everywhere - why not do the proper think
and let the new-style makefiles share their code?

(I have a patch ready - it just needs some forward-porting and testing)

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.