    SubjectRe: ide/disk perf?
    Pierre Etchemaite wrote:

    > Le 30-Oct-2000, Mohammad A. Haque écrivait :
    > > Could someone who knows ide and drive inside and out (Andre?) please
    > > take a look at these figures? Am I forgetting to do something (or doing
    > > something I'm not suposed to) to get the best numbers? I thought I'd be
    > > able to get more than ~4MB/sec off the HPT366 and a UDMA66 drive.
    >
    > It could be unrelated, but I had problems several times with Maxtor drives
    > recently; Their performances are usually high (some models give >20 Mb/s
    > both reads and writes), but under some conditions that I couldn't narrow down
    > yet, the read throughput is stuck to the floor (a few megabytes/sec) until
    > next reboot. The write performance is always ok.

    I had the same problem with Seagate ST313021A (13 gig) drives on
    BP6/HPT366/UDMA66. Initial throughput reported by `hdparm -t' was 22
    megs/sec which would slowly wilt to 5 megs/sec.

    I discovered that sending _any_ reconfiguration command to the drive -
    even one which was not supported by that particular drive - would bring
    the performance back.

    So when it goes slow, try running, say, `hdparm -A1' and see what
    happens.

    Andre and I scratched each others heads for a while, suspected a
    firmware bug. He sent an email to a contact at Seagate. This was in
    April, so I guess that person is a very slow typist.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.022 / U:0.896 seconds]