    SubjectRe: / on ramfs, possible?
    David Woodhouse wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    > > Pardon?! This doesn't make any sense...
    > >
    > > The question was: how do switch from the initrd to using the ramfs as /?
    > > Using pivot_root should do it (after the pivot, you can of course nuke
    > > the initrd ramdisk.)
    >
    > My question is: What do you want to do that for? You can nuke the initrd
    > ramdisk, but you can't drop the rd.c code, or ll_rw_blk.c code, etc. So
    > why not just keep your root filesystem in the initrd where it started off?

    Umm... because the size of a ramdisk is fixed, but the size of a ramfs is
    flexible?

    I can certainly understand this problem... I might in fact do exactly
    this in the next version of my SuperRescue disk. There, the ramdisk
    which is the real root is populated from a .tar.gz file; the initrd is
    just there to unpack the .tar.gz file onto the "real" ramdisk; the initrd
    is then jettisoned.

    Why not just have the real root be the initrd, you ask? It's too large:
    since an initrd needs to exist in both compressed form and uncompressed
    form in memory at the same time; it would mean SuperRescue would no
    longer work on systems with 64 MB RAM. If I went to ramfs it might
    actually work on systems with 48 MB RAM, albeit you better not need to
    much space in / (or conversely, it would suddenly let you put a whole lot
    more stuff in /tmp if you have 512 MB.)

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt