    SubjectRe: PATCH: killing read_ahead[]

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > OTOH, block-dev readahead makes sense for filesystems where
    > the packing locality is close to the access pattern BUT NOT
    > close to anything the page cache would recognise as being
    > close.

    I dunno. The main reason I'd like to get the block devices into the page
    cache is that right now there is no way to mmap them - something that can
    potentially be _very_ useful, regardless of readahead.

    And quite frankly, the generic file readahead has been pounded upon and
    tested a lot more than the block device read-ahead ever was. I bet it
    performs better if for no other reason.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.022 / U:11.488 seconds]