SubjectRe: Minimizing dropped UDP packets
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Frank Hansen wrote:
[SNIPPED...]

> Any suggestions whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. FWIW NT 4.0
> running on the same hardware performs this task flawless, and I will
> have a diffucult time to convice my boss that we should use Linux as
> long as it is outperformed by NT.

If NT is doing better than Linux with UDP, it probably isn't using
UDP (maybe sequenced-packet). As you should know, UDP is not
a reliable transport mechanism, but the actual data transfer for
any/all machanisms is via "datagrams". The rest of the protocol
just determines whether or not reliable delivery is assured.

Why do you use UDP? If you need reliable transport you must use
TCP/IP (stream).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.17 on an i686 machine (801.18 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.916 / U:0.016 seconds]