    SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design
    David Woodhouse wrote:
    > said:
    > > The pc speaker is fine for playing one note at a time - it is
    > > extremely shitty hardware if you want to play samples.
    > It's actually quite reasonable for sound effects. Stuff like beeps and
    > boings to announce talk requests, new mail, etc. But yes, playing mp3s on
    > it does suck somewhat :)
    > > A dirt cheap used soundcard or even a resistor network connected to the
    > > parallel port is a good DAC-device compared to the pc speaker.
    > Note that the latter is also supported by the PCSP driver, and has to play
    > the same evil timer tricks. When I finally get round to shifting the system

    > timer onto the RTC so the PCSP driver can have the 8253 all to itself,
    > the PCSP driver will be a lot nicer. It doesn't impact the system
    > performance that much at all.

    Maybe I overestimated the overhead of the pc-speaker sound driver.
    the quality is dubious due to the hardware. Some case designers fit the
    cheapest possible speaker / piezo-electric device in order to
    minimize cost. (It is only used for system beeps so why use something
    expensive. Who
    cares if there is scratching on a beep due to somthing located too near
    the membrane...)

    And don't even try asking a pc-case salesman about the quality of the
    built-in speaker.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.021 / U:4.500 seconds]