    SubjectRe: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x
    On 23 Oct 2000, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
    >So I have the glibc maintainer (and others) saying that syslog
    >messages should never be dropped, and you saying that named should be
    >dropping its syslog messages.

    No, I didn't say they "should" be dropped but merely that dropping them
    would fix your problem. Personally, I'd look closely at your setup to
    determine exactly why this has become a problem. named is being blocked
    on writing to /dev/log. This should only happen if there is sufficient
    _local_ syslog traffic to fill the buffer or syslogd has too much remote
    traffic to ever read from /dev/log.

    Per chance are you running the name service caching daemon (nscd)? I'd
    also guess you aren't disabling fsync() for your sysylog files (it's part
    of the syslog.conf format) -- this is a conciderable drain on syslogd.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.020 / U:1.468 seconds]