SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design (Dwayne C . Litzenberger) writes:

You contradict yourself:

> 3. Modules can very easily crash the whole kernel. This is because
> each module does not get to run in its own protected memory space, as
> it would i= n a well-designed microkernel.

> very elegant operating systems, namely the Amiga's exec.library and
> QNX's Neutrino (I'm sure you can name others), used microkernels, and
> they were b= oth *very* efficient. However, there are some drawbacks
> to microkernels that h= ave

The AmigaOS (as I remember it from my past days) was fast because it
had no memory protection between user and kernel space at all. So you
could simply pass around message pointers without copying any data
from kernel to user space.

Yeah. Cool. Fast. Crashed like hell all the time you made one false

Please, go and play with the other CS undergrads on Hurd. Or climb a

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20