    SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design
    dlitz@dlitz.net (Dwayne C . Litzenberger) writes:

    You contradict yourself:

    [...]

    > 3. Modules can very easily crash the whole kernel. This is because
    > each module does not get to run in its own protected memory space, as
    > it would i= n a well-designed microkernel.

    [...]

    > very elegant operating systems, namely the Amiga's exec.library and
    > QNX's Neutrino (I'm sure you can name others), used microkernels, and
    > they were b= oth *very* efficient. However, there are some drawbacks
    > to microkernels that h= ave

    [...]

    The AmigaOS (as I remember it from my past days) was fast because it
    had no memory protection between user and kernel space at all. So you
    could simply pass around message pointers without copying any data
    from kernel to user space.

    Yeah. Cool. Fast. Crashed like hell all the time you made one false
    move.

    Please, go and play with the other CS undergrads on Hurd. Or climb a
    tree.

    Regards
    Henning

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de

    Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20