    SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design
    On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 09:56:52PM -0600, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > crossing memory protection domains is slow, there's no way around
    > > it (except better hardware).
    >
    > So what we really need to do is get some custom "RAM blitter" into our
    > hardware to do the memory copies needed for fast context switching and message
    > passing.
    >
    > Too bad nobody on this list works at an electronics design company... ;-P

    Dwayne,

    Why don't you get with the C++ guy on the list talking about C++ kernels,
    Eray Ozkural (erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr) and the two of you design a processor
    that's optimized to run C++ with 0 overhead memory protection (3 clocks max
    to go through a ring 3 -> 0 gate). Who knows? Maybe you could design
    a new processor for us to use that just implements two super RISC
    instructions, 'set bugs off' and 'do what I'm thinking'.

    :-)

    Jeff

    > --
    > Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net
    >
    > - Please always Cc to me when replying to me on the lists.
    > - Please have the courtesy to respond to any requests or questions I may have.
    > - See the mail headers for GPG/advertising/homepage information.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.031 / U:3.672 seconds]