SubjectRe: unfair stress on non memory allocating apps while swapout (in 2.4)
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <20001021234458.A20246@lina.inka.de> you wrote:
> > I know it does thats why i have run that tool- The question is still, why
> > gets my system unusable in the same second my systems starts to page out?
>
> To follow up on myself: the question was why are programs which
> do not allocate memory be delayed while one program is eating up
> all memory. This clearly means they are not delayed in the
> malloc call but simply the kernel will not schedule them while
> he is bussy to page out processes.

1) some process allocates gobs of memory
2) the kernel swaps out memory from all processes
3) some of the other - partly swapped out - processes
wake up and need to be swapped in
4) these other processes have to ALLOCATE MEMORY to be
able to page in parts of themselves ... this can be
very slow at times

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/