    SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design
    On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:

    >Although I am a programmer, I am not yet a kernel hacker, so some of my claims

    Point 1.

    >*very* efficient. However, there are some drawbacks to microkernels that have
    >been raised

    Point 2.

    >(and I don't have the expertise to argue about them),

    Point 3.

    That pretty much answers the question right there IMHO. This is
    an FAQ.

    >So, my question is this: What are some of Linux's design problems, and what
    >fundamental changes could be made for a long-run benefit?

    Not by turning it into a microkernel. Suggesting it is nothing
    more than religious CS BS.

    Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
    Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
    Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

    [Mike A. Harris Linux tip #1 - 50 line mode]
    Is the 80x25 line screen too small for you? If you want more screen real
    estate, you can set 50 column mode by editing your /etc/lilo.conf file, and
    adding a new line with "vga=ext" to the global section near the top. Save
    and exit, then run "lilo". Next time you boot, you'll have a nice big 80x50

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.030 / U:43.332 seconds]