    SubjectRe: bind() allowed to non-local addresses
    On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 12:30:52AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Assuming that my "compatibility argument" is not considered valid. What
    > > I really need is some good ammunition for going back to Sun to ask them
    > > to change the JRE spec -- like some significant kernel features or Linux
    > > applications that relies on this new bind() behavior.
    > The XNS specification seems loose enough to allow the Linux behaviour. I don't

    I cant see why..

    > think we should however adopt it as default behaviour. Programs that dont care
    > about addresses use INADDR_ANY.

    IMHO it does _not_ allow Linux behaviour:

    ----(Snipped from SUS)----

    bind - bind a name to a socket

    Upon successful completion, bind() returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno
    is set to indicate the error.

    The bind() function will fail if:

    The specified address is not available from the local machine.

    So binding to a non-local ip address shouldnt be allowed because it "is not
    available from the local machine"; even if the machine has a dynamic ip.

    Alberto Bertogli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.020 / U:77.204 seconds]