    SubjectTODO list for new VM (oct 2000)
    [MM TODO list, updated for october 2000]

    ---
    Here is the TODO list for the new VM. The only thing
    really needed for 2.4 is the OOM handler and a fix
    for the highmem deadlock.

    The page->mapping->flush() callback is really wanted
    by the journaling filesystem folks.

    The rest are mostly extra's that would be nice; these
    things won't be pushed for inclusion except if it turns
    out to be really trivial to implement, high performance
    on the cases they're supposed to affect and their influence
    is highly localised...

    (sorry folks, but for 2.4 I'll be really conservative)

    ---> TODO list for the new VM <---

    for kernel 2.4, necessary:
    - out of memory handling
    [integrate the OOM killer, 10 minutes work]
    - fix the highmem deadlock, where the swapper cannot create
    low memory bounce buffers OR swap out low memory because
    it has consumed all resources
    [old bug, already reported with 2.4.0-test6, probably before]

    for kernel 2.4, really wanted:
    - page->mapping->flush() callback in page_launder(),
    for easier integration with journaling filesystems
    and maybe the network filesystems
    [about 30 minutes of work on the VM side]

    for kernel 2.4, wanted:
    - maybe rebalance the swapper a bit ... we do page aging
    now so maybe refill_inactive_scan() / shm_swap() and
    swap_out() need to be rebalanced a bit

    for kernel 2.5: (maybe available as patch for 2.4 ???)
    - physical->virtual reverse mapping, so we can do much
    better page aging with less CPU usage spikes
    - better IO clustering for swap (and filesystem) IO
    - move all the global VM variables, lists, etc. into
    the pgdat struct for better NUMA scalability
    - (maybe) some QoS things, as far as they are major
    improvements with minor intrusion
    - thrashing control, maybe process suspension with some
    forced swapping ?
    - include Ben LaHaise's code, which moves readahead
    to the VMA level, this way we can do streaming swap
    IO, complete with drop_behind()

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/