SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa
In article <>,
Trond Myklebust <> wrote:
> > You do not have to use NFS - look for my postings with
> > 'page->mapping == NULL' in archive. Your code uses shared mmap,
> > 'page->isn't
> > it? Probably shared by couple of processes.
>It's probably particularly nasty under NFS because of

Btw, that "invalidate_inode_pages()" thing is just wrong - we can't just
remove pages that are mapped etc, because that would result in no end of
fun aliasing problems etc.

I don't see why invalidate_inode_pages() would be called for this
sequence, though, which is why I'd be more likely to blame the truncate
case, but I think you're right about invalidate_inode_pages() being a
problem none-the-less.

How about adding a test in invalidate_inode_pages() like

/* We cannot invalidate a locked page */
if (TryLockPage(page))
+ /* We cannot invalidate a page that is in use */
+ if (page_count(page) != 1) {
+ UnlockPage(page);
+ continue;
+ }
Because otherwise we might end up invalidating pages that might have
pending write-back etc (although I think the NFS logic tries to avoid
invalidating when there's pending activity).