    SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa
    Date
    In article <shshf68ig9h.fsf@charged.uio.no>,
    Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> wrote:

    > > You do not have to use NFS - look for my postings with
    > > 'page->mapping == NULL' in archive. Your code uses shared mmap,
    > > 'page->isn't
    > > it? Probably shared by couple of processes.
    >
    >It's probably particularly nasty under NFS because of
    >invalidate_inode_pages().

    Btw, that "invalidate_inode_pages()" thing is just wrong - we can't just
    remove pages that are mapped etc, because that would result in no end of
    fun aliasing problems etc.

    I don't see why invalidate_inode_pages() would be called for this
    sequence, though, which is why I'd be more likely to blame the truncate
    case, but I think you're right about invalidate_inode_pages() being a
    problem none-the-less.

    How about adding a test in invalidate_inode_pages() like

    /* We cannot invalidate a locked page */
    if (TryLockPage(page))
    continue;

    + /* We cannot invalidate a page that is in use */
    + if (page_count(page) != 1) {
    + UnlockPage(page);
    + continue;
    + }
    +
    __lru_cache_del(page);
    __remove_inode_page(page);

    Because otherwise we might end up invalidating pages that might have
    pending write-back etc (although I think the NFS logic tries to avoid
    invalidating when there's pending activity).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.030 / U:29.900 seconds]