SubjectRe: bind() allowed to non-local addresses
   Date: 	Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:35:12 -0600
From: Matt Peterson <mpeterson@calderasystems.com>

Don't you find it a little compelling that the nearly identical JVM
code passes the Java Compatibility test suite on Linux 2.2,
Solaris, HPUX, SCO, and even Windows?

He is arguing that returning an error for a non-local address being
sent to bind() is an implementation dependency and should not be
something JRE absolutely requires. It is a dark corner of the BSD
socket API and not written in stone anywhere, therefore it is bad
to create a dependency upon it.

To this I agree, but I cannot change the fact that this assumption
does exist in applications, so this is why I reverted the change.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.481 / U:0.148 seconds]