SubjectRe: bind() allowed to non-local addresses
   Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:23:26 -0600
From: Matt Peterson <mpeterson@calderasystems.com>

Have you thought about an SOL_SOCKET level socket option? It might
be more intuitive for programmers than an ioctl and could be
documented with sockets where it will be used.

Where did I say "ioctl"?

The solution I am implementing is neither a socket option nor an
ioctl, it's a system-wide sysctl.

If people need to change code in applications to get the "servers
start even when dynamic address is temporarily down" behavior, the
feature makes no sense. The whole point was to make it totally
transparent to the apps.

This is why a sysctl is how I am allowing the new behavior. A person
will be able to go:

! echo "1" >/proc/sys/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

and be done with it. And like I said it will be "0" by default,
thus giving the 2.2.x behavior.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.588 / U:0.156 seconds]