    SubjectRe: Proposal: driver initialization pipelining
    On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Felix von Leitner wrote:

    > I don't get it.
    > If you say that IDE disables interrupts during init, does that mean that
    > it disables _all_ interrupts or just that you mask the IDE IRQs?

    Yes, it is called probing.

    You issue a command to the channel and hope that something responds.
    The command is not fatal if nothing is there.

    We have to disable all interrupts and listen for the first probable ping.
    Then grab it and hope that it s correct.

    > Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of SCSI bus scan, because
    > the Linux IDE reset is already barely noticeable.

    After the driver know where everything is and what is there

    > Does "timing sensitive" mean "don't come again too early" or "be 100%
    > punctual"?

    It is oh crap, I have to wait 31 seconds if I am using junk hardware to
    get out of this wait.

    > There ought to be _some_ initializations that don't require interrupts?
    > Registering the file systems and network protocols, stuff like that?
    > Felix

    Andre Hedrick
    The Linux ATA/IDE guy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.020 / U:9.656 seconds]