SubjectRe: [ADMIN] some list related topics ..

Matt,

A legal perspective.

It is a Felony Federal) in the United States to divert or re-route
emails on the internet,
esspecially across interstate lines. It's also a Felony (Federal) to
misuse and email
address to disrupt interstate or international commerce.

I would suggest calling the FBI office in your area and file a formal
complaint. You can be
assured they will put anyone doing this in jail (and walk in and seize
all their computer
equipment).

Jeff

Matti Aarnio wrote:

> We (abuse@vger.kernel.org -> me & DaveM) got just reports that
> somebody is diverting incoming email to some sort of auto-responding
> ticket system.
>
> The thing does not carry original message "Received:" headers in replies,
> and is reporting invalid URL.
>
> Independent of that, people with supposedly working addresses
> are sometimes bouncing:
>
> 1) because their backup MXes don't like the domain they have
> (configuration problem somewhere, you can choose in between
> the DNS data writer, and the backup MX admin)
>
> 2) that ISP's system is for some reason loosing track of
> part of their user database.
>
> Couple days ago SGI.COM had apparently lost its external
> system primary alias file for a few hours... I have seen
> similar blunders here and there, cisco.com had blunder
> that some months ago too. -- things vary, but usually
> we refrain from deleting recipients if "a bit too many"
> are bouncing from some big site...
>
> 3) some ISP systems yield 500 series errors with text:
> "system is temporarily busy"
> or something of that effect. Now THAT is really offensive
> stupidity by the ISP software folks...
>
> For the subset 1 above, I am preparing to begin to run regularly
> (weekly very least, daily possibly) scanner which tries interactive
> testing of recipients address at all of user's domain's MX servers,
> and if any of the MX systems for user's domain gives a bad
> response for subscriber's address, that user gets the log report
> and some pointers on what to do.
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:2.317 / U:0.624 seconds]