    SubjectRe: A patch to loop.c for better cryption support
    > <snip>
    > > > IV generation is what I am worried about.
    > > > There is a paper about why it is a bad idea to use
    > > > sequence numbers for CBC IV's. I just have to find the reference to it.
    > > Does this mean sequence as in 0,1,2,3,4 ... or does this mean
    > > any pre-calculate-able sequence ? In the former case we might just use
    > > a simple one way hash-function over the requested sector number.
    > >
    > I guess it means 0,1,2,3,4..., but you might want to check

    Ok, I read it and here is the paragraph, which refers to IVs:
    RECOMMENDATION 10: Each transform should fully specify one partic-
    ular function (though this function may be probabilistic or state-
    ful). For example, if one has a mechanism like DES-CBC, one must
    specify how the initialization vector is to be selected.

    The reason for this recommendation is experience that indicates that
    if a transform is not completely specified, implementors will not
    know how to finish the "missing pieces" in a way that is cryptograph-
    ically correct. As an example, it is not true that CBC encryption
    can use an arbitrary nonce initialization vector: it is essential
    that the IV be unpredictable by the adversary. (To see this, suppose
    the IV is a sequence number: 0, 1, 2, ... . Then a (first) encryp-
    tion of 0x0000000000000000 followed by an encryption of
    0x0000000000000001 is recognizably distinct from a (first) encryption
    of 0x0000000000000000 followed by an encryption of
    0x0000000000000000. Clearly this violates violates the notion of a
    secure encryption sketched in Section 2.)

    So I think what is written in "Applied Cryptography" (by Bruce Schneier)
    is correct. A sequence is ok, as long as you can't predict the start
    of the sequence.
    The key sentence in the above statement is:
    "It is essential that the IV be unpredictable by the adversary"
    If I understand this correctly it means that you CAN use a
    simple increasing sequence, as long as you make sure that the
    start value of the sequence is unknown.

    A simple implementation (which doesn't affect loop.c, but only
    the ciphers) is to calculate an IVseed from the key and use
    an addition of "IVseed" + "block/sector number" as IV for
    the encryption of one block/sector. (This is simplified a
    version of the approach suggested by David Wagner.
    He suggested to encrypt the block/sector number and
    then use the the encrypted sector number as IV.
    This seems even more secure, but if the above paragraph
    is correct than simply using a sequence, which starts at
    an unpredictable point should be enough... Comments ?)

    so long

    PS: I plan to put a revised implementation and patch set of Twofish
    on my homepage "". Please have a look
    at the description of the above scheme in my twofish implementation.
    I would like to hear some comments about it...

    I will do a second version, which implements David Wagners approach,
    because after some though I think the performance degradation is less
    than I expected at a first glance...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.025 / U:13.052 seconds]