SubjectRe: Device Driver
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:57:08 -0700,
> Miles Lane <miles@speakeasy.org> wrote:
> >
> >I presume your driver doesn't mind if this image is unavailable.
> >If not, you'll need to provide a open source image to use in place
> >of your proprietary one.
>
> Linus, please confirm.
>
> Firmware for cards can be proprietary. It can either be installed by a
> userspace utility on startup (nothing to do with the kernel) or it can
> be installed by the kernel driver for the card during initialization.
> In the latter case, the image must be supplied in text format and
> converted to binary, no binary files in the kernel tarball.

Nobody asked but, HDD solid state devices that could be used for booting
would require the linking or inclusion of of non-open binaries that must
be executed once the release of INT13/INT19 are completed from the bios
bootstrapping. We are looking at something that has to be kick started
long before execve("/sbin/init"...);system("/sbin/init"); could be
considered.

Regardless if this is ATA/SCSI.....

Just my thoughs....dump them if you wish...

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.178 / U:0.064 seconds]