I am attempting to move all of the root files and
folders into a single directory /linux on the root
file system. I then use the kernel parameter
init=/linux/sbin/init to get things rolling but the
kernel panics.

When I boot linux, everything seems to work ok until
the kernel tries to execute init. The root device is
mounted as the root file system successfully and I see
a message stating so. But then I get a kernel panic
which says it couldn't find init and to try using the
init= kernel parameter.

I'm guessing there is something missing from the root
directory that the kernel needs but isn't there. I
tried moving the /dev directory back to the root
directory on the root file system but this didn't help

Anyone have any clues?

P.S. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm
creating a bootable CD but have other things on the CD
in addition to linux.

Do You Yahoo!?