    Hello,

    I am attempting to move all of the root files and
    folders into a single directory /linux on the root
    file system. I then use the kernel parameter
    init=/linux/sbin/init to get things rolling but the
    kernel panics.

    When I boot linux, everything seems to work ok until
    the kernel tries to execute init. The root device is
    mounted as the root file system successfully and I see
    a message stating so. But then I get a kernel panic
    which says it couldn't find init and to try using the
    init= kernel parameter.

    I'm guessing there is something missing from the root
    directory that the kernel needs but isn't there. I
    tried moving the /dev directory back to the root
    directory on the root file system but this didn't help
    things.

    Anyone have any clues?

    Thanks.

    P.S. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm
    creating a bootable CD but have other things on the CD
    in addition to linux.