    SubjectRe: Updated 2.4 TODO List -- new addition WAS(test9 PCI
    } Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> said:
    } > On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:19:23PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
    } > > I honestly see nothing wrong with it. There are different parts of
    } > > the compiler stressed by the kernel build as opposed to most userland
    } > > compilation, and furthermore the desired compiler stability/feature
    } > > ratio is different for each task. [..]
    }
    } > Many userspace sources are using spinlocks and atomic SMP locking in
    } > inline asm just like kernel (I think glibc does that for pthreads
    } > too). Inline asm _must_ be 100% reliable not only for kernel. There's
    } > nothing foundamentally different between userspace and kernel needs, it
    } > just happens that "often" userspace is single threaded, doesn't need any
    } > atomic operation and in turn stresses the compiler much less then the
    } > kernel on that side.
    }
    } Oh, come on. The kernel (or glibc for that matter) is not about "inline
    } asm()" at all! That is a tiny fraction of each. The kernel is different in
    } that it has lots of hardware-dependent code, which leads to some rather
    } strange contortions in C in order to be able to _avoid_ asm. The kernel
    } also moves forward a lot faster than glibc, and grows a lot. A bug in glibc
    } means an application goes down or screws up, a bug in the kernel can mean
    } masive data loss in no time at all.

    I don't think I understand your point. Are you saying that gcc cannot be
    expected to keep up with the ways in which the kernel uses it? My argument
    is that providing a compiler that actually regresses (old version compiles
    kernel, redhat 7.0 included one does not) is not a good choice.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.020 / U:1.700 seconds]